Friulian Dishes - Montasio cheese crisp and roasted baby potatoes
This appetizer consists of frico, or fried cheese over roasted potatoes. A few suggestions: Before you prepare the ingredients, pre-heat the oven to 400. You can start the potatoes in the oven 20 minutes prior to making the cheese crisp. Also, have paper towel ready as you must drain the fat that the cheese will release. Finally, you need to be quick with your flip when handling the spatula!
3 cups mixed whole baby marble potatoes
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ lb. (about 2 cups) coarsely shredded Montasio cheese
1 tbsp. flour
1 teaspoon chopped Italian parsley
Salt and pepper
- Mix potatoes and ¼ cup olive oil together in a large mixing bowl.
- Place on a large cookie pan.
- Roast in a 400 degree preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and soft on the inside (If it's convection oven, a shorter time would be required)
- Combine cheese with flour in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Lightly grease a large cast-iron skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, then place over medium-low heat.
- Spoon 2 tbsp. of cheese onto heated skillet for each 2''- 3'' round.
- Allow cheese to melt and edges to turn golden brown. Cook, without touching, for about 3 minutes, then turn with a spatula quickly (when ready, frico should come away easily from pan) and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining cheese.
- Crack cheese crisps over potatoes, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.