Friulian Dishes - Pasta with Poppy Seeds
This unusual sweet sauce is often paired with potato gnocchi or delicate fresh pasta cut into wide ribbons.
For the pasta:
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 pound fresh egg tagliatelle or reginette
For the sauce:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Make the pasta: Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil. Add the salt and the pasta. Cook until al dente, then drain, reserving about 2 cups of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Warm the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the poppy seeds and warm through until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Keep warm.
- Transfer the drained pasta to a large serving platter and toss with the warm poppy seed butter. Add some of the reserved pasta cooking water as needed to thin out the sauce; it should coat the pasta nicely. Sprinkle with the sugar and toss again. Serve hot.