Penne with Sausage and Mushrooms
Pair Penne with Sausage and Mushrooms with Terlato Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - Stag’s Leap District.
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, ½ - inch slices
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 12 ounces good quality dry red wine
- 28 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, processed through a food mill
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 pound penne rigate
- Basil leaves, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté sausage in a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes in a little bit of olive oil.
- Brown both sides, remove with a slotted spoon, place on paper towel and pat dry.
- Sauté onions and garlic in a large sauté pan for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add portobello mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add sausage and heat through. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the penne, cook al dente, drain and return to pot. Add sauce to pasta and mix thoroughly. Reheat if necessary.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, basil and serve.